Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Music



I woke up this morning with Born to Run playing in my head.  I am not a lifelong Springsteen fan, I’ve always like his music and thought he was a great songwriter, but I never quite understood what inspired such fervent admiration from his fans.  Well, I didn’t until I saw him live. I don’t think I’ve ever seen another performer who could establish a rapport with an audience so quickly and so (seemingly) effortlessly.  Bruce is not out there going through the motions, he’s present and engaging and obviously enjoying himself.  He has that rare ability to make a cavernous arena seem like an intimate space where it’s just him and you and the music. He’s made a believer out of me!
Being a woman of a certain name, Born to Run has a special place in my heart.  One of the first things my mother in law ever said to me was that I could never be president because my name was too girly. Musically, at least, she may actually have a point, if there’s a Wendy in a song most likely she’s going to be sweet, perky and picking up the Lost Boy’s dirty socks.  This is why I’m partial to Born to Run. Springsteen’s Wendy is an adventuress running off with the hot bad boy. She may never be president either, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't care.

I'm posting this version of the song because it has some great footage of Bruce interacting sax player Clarence Clemons who passed away June 18th following a stroke. His music will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And Bruce's arms are KILLER in this video...just sayin.

BG

Robena Grant said...

I saw Springsteen years ago in concert in Los Angeles. My ex invited several of my Aussie family who were visiting us, to come along. We danced, we yelled and screamed, and it was fever pitch all night. The next day everyone was hoarse but we all swore we'd do it again in a nanosecond. I'm a fan for life.

Wendy Lane Bailey said...

Don't think I didn't notice that, BG!

Wendy Lane Bailey said...

Hi Robena:

I think all you have to do is see him live once and you're hooked for life. I almost got to meet him last year at an event, but I couldn't come up with a clever and graceful way to do it before his entourage swept him away. Oh, well, maybe one day....